A Sheffield makeup artist with almost 60,000 Instagram followers has given top tips on how to be successful in the beauty industry.
Katie Daley, 26, known as @misskda on Instagram, has given a sneak peek into her life as a makeup artist with some exclusive advice.
Sheffield has an increasing amount of young girls who are desperate to perfect their makeup skills and wanting to pursue a career in the industry. There are many girls from Sheffield that are professionally trained and either work on a beauty counter, a salon or freelance.
Katie Daley is a Sheffield-based professional freelance MUA who has been in the makeup industry for 5 years (source).
She is from Rotherham and covers makeup for her clients varying looks from high end fashion to bridal.
Recently, she has created her own event to fill in her clients with priceless information of a “Masterclass” mirroring ‘The Masterclass by Mario Dedivanovio’ professional makeup artist of Kim Kardashian.
At the moment, she has 59.4k followers on her Instagram page and is very proud of how far she has come.
So, I sat down with Katie and had a little Q&A:
- When did you start getting into makeup?
- 2009, I was in college at Retford studying fashion and photographic makeup and media level 3. I used to dance and that is what kind of got me into makeup as I was doing my own makeup.
- Has this always been your desired career?
- I kind of fell into it I didn’t really know what I wanted to do when I left school, I used to do my own makeup for dance but I had always been quite arty anyway.
- Tell me what you do on a daily basis.
- It completely differs sometimes I have an admin day depends on the month, if it is summer it’s weddings I can be up and down the country, I never really get a day off but I love my job.
- Tell me your journey throughout your career in makeup. How did you start? What problems did you face? What is your proudest moment?
- At Retford College I was in a job at MAC when I was 18 I was there for 5 years doing different events like fashion weeks. I decided to take the punch and go freelance I have been doing it for 3 years and a lot of clients followed me for my reputation from MAC. My proudest moment was getting on the front cover of the OK magazine with mcfly for their wedding, Ellie Goulding was there too! Another proud moment is meeting Kim Kardashian.
- What advice would you give to new-beginners?
- Don’t lose focus on what you want because there’s that much competition, if you’re determined to be the best makeup artist keep focused on what you’re doing, be yourself don’t be work shy.
- Would you do anything differently?
- Maybe get a salon a lot sooner because I’m looking to get one at the moment.