Unit 11 Self Promotion
- Social media: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Youtube, LinkedIn, Uploads, Posts, Blogging
- Storytelling skills
- Helping people, building a reputation
- Publish/share examples of your work/what you have done
- Portfolio- Examples of your best work, needs to evolve/ adapt. Formats: Digital portfolio, papers in folder.
- Recommendations/ Testimonials- being promoted
- Business cards/ flyers/ banners/ merchandising
- Professional/ contact details
How to self promote on social media:
There is a 5-3-2 rule on social media you could follow for sharing content which is: 5 content from others, 3 content from you, 2 personal status updates. This rule is placed to keep the content interesting and not all about you. https://www.fastcompany.com/3032287/hit-the-ground-running/the-art-of-self-promotion-on-social-media
PR Agencies tend to self promote by creating their own website, or buying advertising spaces (mainly on the web). However, it is said that PR and Marketing agencies are too busy promoting other companies and people that they very rarely get the chance to promote their own business. “Yes, on average just 0.4% of the press releases I write are aimed at promoting the business I work for.” – The Guardian
Leah’s LinkedIn has a professionally spoken summary of what she does and who she is in a fair amount of detail. She also has posts about her work.
Her Twitter is less formal yet still on a professional level when it comes to her work posts and links. Leah’s bio is more about herself which she hasn’t included in her LinkedIn profile.
Leah Pope also has a biography dedicated to her on the website of the company she works for. http://www.synthesio.com/exec-team/
An example of a digital portfolio is:
Anthony has wrote his project details such as which company and client he worked for. He has given a short explanation and added a video to his page.