What effects can the media have on an audience?
- Feeling low/depressed about certain media, taking it personally/ comparing themselves
- Negative impact on self-image and self-esteem – comparing to models and celebrities because of the representation of “the ideal” and aspirational images
- The power of the media to influence our ideas and knowledge
- Causing more violence in society for eg. Films, games, music
- Educational information such as improving the nations health
- Greater access to information about anything through social media
“Negative impact on self-image”
Young girls are being influenced by social media, comparing themselves to models such as Victora’s Secret models. These models are viewed as ‘perfect’ through the media and that this is how young females should have their body looking. “But as the show attracts hundreds of celebrities and entertainers, with special performances and acts every year, it leaves women questioning what “perfection” really is.” Females, especially at a young age where they are still developing, can be easily influenced and feel depressed about their looks and body. This results in low self-esteem and confidence. As they grow up, they may realise that every individual is perfect in their own way, and however you feel comfortable in your own body is perfect for you, not how the media says you should be.